I've had this deja vu before
In the last few months, I have frequently experienced the phenomena known as 'deja vu' (with some accents thrown in there that I don't know how to type). It isn't very disturbing; usually I just notice some very subtle things in my daily life that seem familiar. But substantially familiar. I sometimes have a very visual 'recollection' of certain images and events. I'm sure many have experienced the same phenomena, so if you have, you may be thinking 'So what?'. Well, yesterday was a fairly emotional/sanity demanding day at work, and I experienced two very strong moments of deja vu. So, it is on my mind, and I will blog about it because I am free to do so.
Before I say anything else, I will say this: I am a very rational person. I'm the type that looks for the scientific explanation for everything. This situation is no different, but just for a moment, let me ponder the other side of the equation...(and I apologize to the other rational people for the comments I am about to make. Be comforted by the fact that I know they are silly, but it can be fun to let your mind wander a bit...Oh, and I further apologize if it is too lifey/personal/journally).
There are two 'out there' situations that I can think of that would account for my deja vu. One, I have lived this life before and my subconcious memory is awakened every so often. Two, maybe I have visions of the future, so the events seem like deja vu when they happen.
If I have lived this life before, and am experiencing visions from the previous time, then it seems I am heading down the same path. Is there some significant event or decision to be made sometime in the future, and I am reliving my life so that I can correct a past mistake? I sure hope not because if I am still leading the same life, I'm bound to make that mistake again! You make a decision based on the information and experiences you have (and here is me trying to break it into a logical argument). The same inputs give the same output. I don't regret decisions because if I were to do it all over and nothing changed, I'd make the same 'mistake' again. All you can do is correct yourself going forward. So let's just hope that I have learned something new this time around, and won't make that same mistake.
Now what if I DO have visions of the future...I certainly wouldn't be the first to claim so! For the record, I have often had dreams that 'predicted' the future (as have you, probably). Perhaps my deja vu experiences are just forgotten dreams. Ten minutes after waking up, the dream is gone...from my concious memory. But I'm not sure what to think about my subconcious self. It may have all sorts of my crazy dreams stored up!
Psychic abilities would be quite a power to have. If I were able to harness my 'visions', that would lead to all sorts of interesting possibilities. The first that comes to mind is the lottery. Not needing a job would allow plenty of time to harness my abilities. Enter the moral and/or sci-fi questions: "What if I change the present, will that change the path of the future? Is it right to change the future? What about destiny? Do I even want the awesome power?" I believe these questions have been addressed in various Hollywood Blockbusters and drama TV plots.
That out of the way, it is time to be reasonable. What if it's all just in my head...
Perhaps as my life experiences grow, less and less will seem 'new' to me, and my deja vu is just based on past real events that I may not recall without the memory being catlyzed by experiencing a similar event and/or image. On a similar note, most of my deja vu seems to revolve around my job, which can only offer a limited amount of variety working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, in the same location. Then again, the events may happen at the office since...that is where most of my life is these days.
Perhaps it is just my mind filling in the blanks. Given some information, it is reasonable to assume that my brain may try to piece together the following sequence of events. When those events happen, they seem familiar because my brain has already predicted a similar outcome.
Perhaps I am becoming increasingly mentally unstable. I have had a head injury in the past two years which I like to blame for all my current 'mental' problems (attention deficit, inability to concentrate, general social ineptitute, degradation of speaking/conversing skills). Maybe my deja vu experience is at least compounded by a mental problem.
That is just some of my speculation. It may be interesting to read something substantial about deja vu, and find out the truth behind this phenomena.
Barring that, maybe I'll discover the truth and reason behind my deja vu in a flashback or psychic vision. That would at least save some reading!

1 Comments:
As a business major, I also consider myself a rational person. However, from time to time I find myself contemplating strong moments of déjà vu. I have developed my own theory about it.
I believe that every person is born with a purpose. Some people might call this their “destiny,” however, I don’t think of it in the classic “life is an inevitable course of events” sense. I feel that you have a purpose in life, and it is up to you to make the choices to get you where you are supposed to go. You might make the wrong choice, and you might never accomplish your “purpose.” In fact, I think that the majority of people fail at their “purpose,” and that is why there are so many unhappy, dissatisfied people in the world.
So for me, that familiar feeling of déjà vu occurs when you have done something right. It’s a confirmation that you have taken a step towards your purpose—and that definitely can’t be a bad thing.
Maybe that’s a little too idealistic, but it makes sense to me.
9:07 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home