Sunday, August 27, 2006

Battleground God

A neat little quiz that challenges you to justify your 'beliefs' about God (or god, whichever you prefer).

I bit one bullet. When the question was asked, I knew I was in danger.

Firstly, I think that it is important for those who have 'strong beliefs' to be able to actually sit down and think for themselves why they have these beliefs (and if they agree with what they've been told).

It is also important for logic's sake. If someone wants to use their 'beliefs' to say something is 'wrong', then their beliefs better damn well be consistent. In logic, if you start off with an inconsistent set of premises, then any logical 'argument' derived from them are absolutely meaningless.

A half-assed example:

A set of premises:
P1. All dogs are brown.
P2. Rex is a black dog. (Hey hey momma have seen the news...erm, nothing to see here).

Obviously, the premises are inconsistent. If all dogs are brown, then if Rex is in fact a dog, Rex must be brown...but Rex is black. How can this be? It can't. But that doesn't mean we can't try to use this set of premises to make some nifty conclusions!

Suppose we have the following statement:

S1. Fido is a dog.

Well, all we need is P1 for us to conclude that Fido is brown, right! Ha, logic is so easy.

Well, Fido is brown! And Fido is also red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet. Fido is whatever you want. Come to think of it, logic works well when you can conclude whatever you want! And you can do so because we started with an inconsistent set of premises.

And tying it all back to religion. I don't mind if someone has a belief system. All I ask is that before they try to use it to form an argument stating that something is wrong, their belief system better damn well be logically consistent. If not, then your argument to me is a purple garbage truck pie eating cruise...with 11 1/2 cents change.

1 Comments:

Blogger Johnny said...

I remember taking this quiz. It's a useful tool to help you ensure consistency in your beliefs, as well as a nice little nugget of entertainment.

9:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home